Twitter has become one of the go-to places on the internet to interact socially. It’s more than just a social network, however, as it provides promotional opportunities as well in a unique micro-blogging format. In 140 characters or less, it is remarkable how much can actually be said.
There are 288 million monthly active users on Twitter right now. 100 million of them are active on the site every day.
Usage of Twitter
The mission of Twitter is pretty simple. They wish to be able to give everyone the power to create something. Once created, they also want people to be able to share that information and their ideas without any barriers. This gives everyone something they may not always have: a right to express themselves in the way that they want.
- The percentage of teens who say that Twitter is their favorite social network: 26%.
- 29% of Millennials say that they are active on Twitter right now. That’s the same percentage of Twitter users who say that they check their account multiple times per day.
- 8 out of 10 world leaders have an account on Twitter that is frequently updated. Barack Obama is currently the world leader with the most followers.
- There are an estimated 20 million fake Twitter accounts that are active on the site.
- More than 50 million Twitter users are registered in the US. About 10% of them will use Twitter while they are at work on a frequent basis.
- 15% of Americans are banned from access Twitter at work through their internet access that their employer has provided.
- 40% of Twitter users have earned at least a Bachelor’s degree.
- Saudi Arabia has the higher per capita percentage of their population that is active on Twitter right now.
- Twitter has a presence in 83% of the countries that have a presence in the United Nations.
- There are 4 million more people registered on Twitter in Japan compared to India.
- 38% of Canadian social network use originates from Twitter.
Twitter has an international presence that continues to grow. Maybe the most incredible statistics to come out of the usage data is the fact that Japan, which has one-quarter of the population of the US, has half as many accounts that are active on the site. This means per capita use of Twitter in Japan is double that of the US. These trends are seen throughout the world as well. Many websites cater to the US market because of the security of the dollar and the spending habits of Americans, but Twitter takes a somewhat different approach. They tend to look internationally first and then at the US to provide a funding “anchor.”
How Widespread Has Twitter Become?
- There area 500 million tweets that are sent out on the average day to an average of 208 followers.
- More than 550 million accounts on Twitter have sent out at least one tweet.
- 43% of Twitter users have sent out a tweet in the last year, but 44% of Twitter users have created an account without ever sending out a tweet.
- 4 out of 5 Twitter users are active on their mobile devices.
- The average amount of time that someone spends on Twitter per month: 170 minutes.
- 33. That’s the number of languages that Twitter is able to currently support.
- Add in the Vine component with Twitter and there is an additional 40 million users that need to be counted.
- The percentage of Twitter accounts that originate outside of the United States: 77%.
- There are more than 3,600 employers working with Twitter throughout the world today. 50% of Twitter’s employees are engineers.
- There are 391 million Twitter accounts that don’t have any followers at all.
Although Twitter isn’t the most popular social platform on the internet today, it is certainly becoming one of the major stops on the internet for millions of people around the world. What is most remarkable about this company is the fact that 3 out of 4 people on Twitter are not based in the United States. Because internet saturation is nearly 90% in the United States right now, there are hundreds of millions of Americans who could be on Twitter right now. They are just choosing not to be… or they haven’t heard of it yet. Maybe these usage statistics will change that.
How Fast Are The Tweets Coming Out?
- There are 1 billion tweets that get posted on Twitter over the course of 5 days.
- 40% of Twitter users will read the tweets of others without tweeting anything themselves.
- 60% of the tweets that are sent out come from third party applicants.
- 9,100 tweets. That’s how many get posted, on average, in every second of every day.
- There are over 2 billion Twitter search engine queries that happen every day.
- The number of unique site visitors that come to Twitter every month: 190 million.
- An average of 135,000 new Twitter users are signing up every day.
The tweets keep rolling in. Part of this has to be because of how easy it has become to access the internet through mobile devices. There’s also the component of ease that Twitter has. An opinion can be shared in a sentence or two and the whole world can see it. Celebrities even interact with accounts from time to time and this gives people the chance to communicate with some of their favorite actors, singers, and politicians. Twitter really does equalize the world and does a good job of helping people connect with other people.
How Mobile Has Twitter Become?
- 35%. That’s the percentage of US teens that are using Twitter on at least one mobile device on a regular basis.
- For Twitter users who have downloaded the app, the percentage of time they spend in the app compared to being on a desktop or browser version of the site: 86%.
- 80% of Twitter users in the Millennial age demographic use the mobile app. An estimated 1 in 4 Millennials has at least one active Twitter account.
- 7% of mobile web traffic referrals to news or entertainment sites originates from Twitter.
- 63% of Twitter users will access their account primarily through their smartphone. Another 8% will use a tablet as their primary tweeting device.
Twitter has dominated the younger age demographics, but the older demographics are starting to catch up with the youth. This is especially true outside of the US, where the 40-59 age demographics are one of the fastest areas of growth that Twitter is experiencing, especially in the APAC region. As information begins to freely flow globally, more people are recognizing the value of what the freedom of expression can really provide. Combined with different perspectives that different cultures offer and the world really can become a smaller place.
Advertisers Are Using Twitter Too
- 45% of Super Bowl commercials have at least one hashtag included in them on average and the percentage grows every year.
- The WWE has a specific hashtag that is used for almost every segment of their shows and this effort has made them a top trending organization without the need to spend extra on advertising to achieve it.
- In 2013, Twitter reported $665 million in revenue that was received by advertisers. 33% of that revenue came in Q4. That’s more than double the revenues that Twitter reported at the end of the year in 2012.
- In Q4 2014 alone, Twitter brought in $479 million of revenues, beating their entire reported revenue from 2012.
- Although 77% of Twitter users originate outside the United States, only 25% of Twitter’s revenue comes from outside the US.
- 70%. That’s the percentage of Twitter’s advertising that comes from their mobile division.
- $2.37. That’s how much Twitter makes per every 1,000 timeline views. There are more than 150 billion timeline views per quarter.
- 49% of Twitter users have followed at least one brand from their Twitter account, which is 3x the average of the entire social networking industry.
- The percentage of people who learn about new products or service from Twitter first: 42%.
For a long time, investors wondered if Twitter could be a viable money maker on the internet. Founded in 2007, their climb toward the top has been pretty slow, but it has been steady. Instead of shooting up rapidly, Twitter has taken the time to build a pretty solid foundation that has helped them expand revenues rapidly. This has let to an explosion of growth between 2012-2014 that has brought about high levels of consumer confidence. What is most remarkable about this explosion of growth is that the global market is virtually untapped. 3 out of 4 Twitter users are outside the US, but only 1 in 4 advertising dollars can say the same thing.