Apologizing is not easy, so here are some sweet “sorry” text messages to help you do it in a way that comes across as heartfelt and sincere.
1. I thought I was right, but now I know how wrong I was. I’m sorry for being a jerk, and for not being smart enough to know when to keep my mouth shut. I am really sorry. Please forgive me.
2. After the kind of jerk I was toward you [the other day], I wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t want to talk to me for a while. But I hope that you will, and I’m truly and deeply sorry for the way I acted.
3. I have hurt myself by hurting you. You are my favorite person on earth, and I cannot believe that I stooped so low. I want you to see that I am doing everything I can to become a better person. I am sorry.
4. My love, you have every right to be upset with me. I know that I’ve hurt you, when all you’ve ever done is show me love. I’ve learned from this, and I’ve grown. I promise to continue learning and growing. Please forgive me and help me to be a better person.
5. I’m sorry, sweetheart. I know I was a jerk, and deeply regret it. I know a simple sorry doesn’t cut it, but please let me make it up to you somehow, and as soon as possible.
6. Yes, I was a complete jerk towards you [last night], and I regret every second of it. Please find it in your heart to forgive me, as I am truly sorry for my words and actions.
7. Knowing that I’ve hurt the love of my life has shaken me to my bones. Please forgive me and give me a chance to express to you in person how sorry I am.
8. I will never forgive myself for the way I hurt you. I hope that I can prove myself worthy in your eyes. Please know that I am deeply sorry for all of the grief that I have caused you. Will you forgive me?
9. I know that I really messed up this time. I am so sorry for being so selfish and mean. I will do everything in my power to fix this horrible mistake and lapse in judgment.
10. I only ever want to make you happy and to see your smile. To know that I’ve done the exact opposite breaks my heart. I know your heart is hurting, too. I’m so sorry that I was the cause of that, and I promise that I’ll never act like that ever again.
11. I’m sorry that everything didn’t work out the way that it should have. I know that together we can get past this if you will let me make it up to you and show you I’ve learned from my mistakes. I promise that I won’t screw up again like this.
12. I am so sorry that I caused you so much awful pain and heartache. You are a truly wonderful person who deserves to be treated with love and respect, and I really failed you. I will never ever cause you so much pain again. Could you find it in your heart to hit the reset button with me?
13. I made so many mistakes, and I own up to them. I lashed out at you and spoke sharply to you. It was uncalled for, and you never deserve to be treated like that, especially by me. I have to get a grip on my temper and treat you with respect. I am working on that. Please forgive me.
14. I have many things that I need to talk to you about, but first, please know that I’m sorry for everything. I really blew up. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me and let me try to make it up to you.
15. My heart is heavy knowing that I’ve wounded yours. I can’t stop thinking about you, and I need you to know how much I regret what I did. I don’t want to lose you over my stupidity. I guarantee you that I’ll never do that ever again. Please give me another chance.
16. My biggest regret in life is how I hurt you. I hurt you so deeply, and I will never stop apologizing for that. I hope that you will give me the opportunity to prove to you that I have changed and have become the [man/woman] you deserve.
17. Sometimes, I can’t believe how much of a jerk I can be, though you have every reason to believe it. [Last night] is a prime example. Though you must be furious at me, please know I deeply regret it and am deeply sorry.
18. I know I’ve failed you. No excuses. I’ve had a lot of time to reflect, and I see the error of my ways. I want to make it right, and I want to make you happy again. Please give me a chance.
19. I am so sorry for behaving so poorly. I let my emotions get the best of me, and that is unacceptable. Going forward, I will be calm, measured, and rational. Please accept my deep, heartfelt, and sincere apology. I was so wrong.
20. I’ve been yearning to see you so that I can tell you how sorry I am. I really let you down, and I know how much I’ve hurt you. I can’t stand the thought of you being angry with me or the thought of how I treated you. Please forgive me and give me the chance to make it right.
21. If I were to tell you that I’m terribly sorry, it would be a total understatement. I don’t have the words to express how sorry I am, but when you let me, I am going to try. And I am going to try to make it up to you. Please let me.
22. The thought that I’ve hurt you and caused you pain is like a knife in my heart. I’m so terribly sorry for what I’ve put you through, and I promise to learn from this and not make the same mistake again. Please let me know if I can see you.
23. You and I both know that I’m far from perfect. What bothers me most about that is when I prove it. I made a big mistake and hurt you badly. I’m so sorry, and I don’t even know the words to tell you how much. Please find it in your heart to forgive me.
24. I completely suck. I am so sorry. Hurting you is the very last thing that I wanted to do. I was completely out of line. I should have realized that my words were nasty and uncalled for. I hope you can forgive me and try to forget it happened.
25. I am very sorry that I let you down. I was not there for you to support you when you needed my help the most. I failed you in so many ways. You have always been there for me, and I swear that I will be someone you can count on in good times and bad. I promise you.
26. You mean the world to me, and I cannot believe that I jeopardized our connection. I was weak and insecure. What I did was unacceptable and inexcusable. I totally own it. Please let me make things right.
27. I feel so ashamed and guilty for the way that I hurt you. You deserve so much more, and I want to apologize right now. Your needs should come before mine. You deserve that, at a minimum. I am really sorry.
28. As hard as it may be for you to believe, I never meant to hurt you. I’m sorry for being so insensitive toward your needs, and I’ll make sure to remember to avoid ever doing it again. I hope you will look past this and forgive me.
29. I really want to make everything right between us. I am truly so apologetic and want to earn your forgiveness and trust. I promise you that I will never ever betray you like that again. I am sorry.
30. You deserve far better than what I’ve been giving you, and you are far better than I deserve. Please know that I am sorry and have learned from my many mistakes. Will you give me the chance to make it up to you?
31. You’ve done so much for me and loved me despite all my flaws. The way I treated you was a poor reflection of the love for you that I have in my heart. I’ve acted like a fool, and I can only hope and pray that you’ll accept my apology and give me another chance.
32. To read a text saying “I’m sorry” seems so cheap compared to how I’m feeling right now. I can’t find the words, but I hope to find a way to convey it to you in person soon. I am truly sorry.
33. I am afraid I’ve damaged the amazing bond we have between us. You are too good for me, and I really don’t deserve you. I am so sorry for how I have treated you. I hope that we can put these tough times behind us and create new and wonderful memories together.
34. I want you to know that I regret my actions. I disrespected you over and over again. I let you down repeatedly, and nobody deserves that kind of treatment, especially you. This was all my fault, and I am sorry. Can you ever forgive me?
35. How could I have been so stupid? I can hardly believe my own actions. But I do believe them, and I take responsibility for them. The fault lies with me, my love, and me alone. Please say you’ll forgive me, and that I can work at making you happy again.
36. I’m so very sorry, and all of this was completely my fault. I hope that we can move past this and grow. I promise you that I will try to be a better person from now on. I really love you and can’t imagine life without you.
37. I really messed up, and for that, I’m so sorry. I never ever wanted to hurt you – you’re the most important person in my whole life. This has been a wake-up call for me, and I promise you that I’ll do better from now on.
38. I am so sorry for all of the horrible and hurtful lies that I told you. I swear to you that I will always be honest with you. No more lying, not even white lies. I hope you can have mercy on me and let me work at earning your trust back.
39. I hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me for what I have done. I am so sorry for hurting you, and I swear that it will never happen again. From now on, I will prioritize our relationship.
40. I have so many regrets about the way I have been treating you recently. Nobody deserves to be treated like that, and I am truly sorry. I hope that you can forgive me and give me another chance.
41. Knowing how good I want to treat you, and knowing how I wound up treating you, I’m completely ashamed of myself. Please forgive me. I know saying I’m sorry just doesn’t sound good enough, but I really am so sorry.
42. You’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me, and I can’t believe I jeopardized our relationship. You are the most important person in my life. I’m so sorry, and I’ll do anything to make things right.
43. I am sorry for taking you for granted. It kills me that I’ve made you feel that way. I see what I did, and please know that I appreciate you far more than I’ve ever shown. I am going to start showing you how much I truly appreciate you so you never feel this way again.
44. I wish that I could go back and change the things I said and undo the things I’ve done. I’m sorry for my actions and for treating you badly. You deserve so much better, and you are going to get it from me from now on.
45. I will do whatever it takes to make things right between us again. I absolutely adore you, and it hurts me to think that I caused you pain. You have my word that it will never happen again.
46. As soon as I had a chance to think about what I said to you, a deep wave of regret washed over me. I am so sorry for talking to you that way and hope that we can find a way to make things right again.
47. I feel absolutely terrible. I hurt you so much, and I cannot express how deeply sorry I am for that. Going forward, I am going to do my best to be sensitive to your feelings.
48. I really messed up and I am so sorry for how things turned out. Could we please have a do-over? Would you be willing to try with me? I hope you’ll let me work toward rebuilding the damage I’ve done.
49. With how often I screw up, for me to say sorry must sound like a broken record by now. I love you and am deeply sorry for the latest mess I’ve made. You are a saint for sticking with me, and nobody knows that better than I. Please forgive me.
50. I know you deserve more, but I don’t know what to say other than that I am truly sorry and I am going to do better. Words are cheap, and I promise you will see it in my actions. I wish I had better words to tell you how much I mean it.
Best Quotes to Say “Sorry” in a Text Message
“To err is human, to forgive, divine.”
“I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice.”
“To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.”
“One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory.”
Rita Mae Brown
“When you forgive, you free your soul. But when you say I’m sorry, you free two souls.”
Donald L. Hicks
“We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love.”
Martin Luther King Jr.
“Forgive, forget. Bear with the faults of others as you would have them bear with yours.”
“A broken friendship that is mended through forgiveness can be even stronger than it once was.”
“Forgiveness is the needle that knows how to mend.”
Jewel (“Under the Water” lyrics)
“I believe that when you’re wrong, own it and apologize, and so I do and put it on the equivalent of my front page.”
“True forgiveness is not an action after the fact, it is an attitude with which you enter each moment.”
“I’m not perfect. Remember that, and try to forgive me when I fail you.”
“Strength is within, love is in the heart, forgiveness is when strength and the heart unite.”
Christine U. Cowin
“The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.”
“All major religious traditions carry basically the same message; that is love, compassion and forgiveness the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives.”
“If our hearts are filled with unconditional love and true forgiveness, we are sure to experience miracles in our lives.”
“Forgive others not because they deserve forgiveness, but because you deserve peace.”
“We are told that people stay in love because of chemistry, or because they remain intrigued with each other, because of many kindnesses, because of luck. But part of it has got to be forgiveness and gratefulness.”
“Forgiveness is the key to action and freedom.”
“I am sorry so sorry, I wish I could go back and change this.”
“Holding a grudge doesn’t make you strong; it makes you bitter. Forgiving doesn’t make you weak; it sets you free.”
“Proper apologies have three parts: 1) What I did was wrong. 2) I feel bad that I hurt you. 3) How do I make this better?”
“Truly saying sorry is never easy to do, and when you are, you just hope it’s not too late.”
“To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness.”
“I don’t know why, I made you cry I’m sorry sweetheart and yet Though you shouldn’t be lenient with me I hope you’ll forgive
Frank Sinatra (“After I Say I’m Sorry” lyrics)
“Forgiveness is the key that unlocks the door of resentment and the handcuffs of hatred. It is a power that breaks the chains of bitterness and the shackles of selfishness.”
Corrie ten Boom
“Never ruin an apology with an excuse.”
“Love forgives and keeps no records of wrongs.”
Lailah Gifty Akita
“Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.”
“There are some experiences in life they haven’t invented the right words for.”
“Apologies are great, but they don’t really change anything. You know what does? Action.”
“Without forgiveness life is governed by an endless cycle of resentment and retaliation.”
“There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love.”
Bryant H. McGill
“Love may forgive all infirmities and love still in spite of them: but Love cannot cease to will their removal.”
“Never forget the nine most important words of any family: I love you. You are beautiful. Please forgive me.”
H. Jackson Brown Jr.
“Forgiveness is the only lethal weapon which can destroy all evil.”
“An apology is saying the right thing after doing the wrong thing.”
“If one by one we counted people out / For the least sin, it wouldn’t take us long / To get so we had no one left to live with. / For to be social is to be forgiving.”
“Forgiveness is a virtue of the brave.”
“We are all mistaken sometimes; sometimes we do wrong things, things that have bad consequences. But it does not mean we are evil, or that we cannot be trusted ever afterward.”
“I think the first step is to understand that forgiveness does not exonerate the perpetrator. Forgiveness liberates the victim. It’s a gift you give yourself.”
“I want to say to each of you, simply, and directly, I am deeply sorry for my irresponsible and selfish behavior I engaged in.”
“A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers.”
“Forgiveness is like faith. You have to keep reviving it.”
“The hero isn’t the one who is right, but the one who steps forward to take the blame – deserved or not – and apologize to save a relationship.”
Richelle E. Goodrich
“It’s very hard for me to say I’m sorry…but I do.”
“Forgive all who have offended you, not for them, but for yourself.”
“And throughout all eternity, I forgive you and you forgive me.”
“The things two people do to each other they remember. If they stay together, it’s not because they forget; it’s because they forgive.”
“A meaningful apology is one that communicates three R’s: regret, responsibility, and remedy.”
“Never believe you’re so great or important, so right or proud, that you cannot kneel at the feet of someone you hurt and offer a humble, sincere apology.”
Richelle E. Goodrich
“The remedy for life’s broken pieces is not classes, workshops or books. Don’t try to heal the broken pieces. Just forgive.”
“Forgiveness is the final form of love.”
“You can’t forgive without loving. And I don’t mean sentimentality. I don’t mean mush. I mean having enough courage to stand up and say, ‘I forgive. I’m finished with it.”
“Forgiveness is the remission of sins. For it is by this that what has been lost, and was found, is saved from being lost again.”
“Everything is my fault, I’ll take all the blame.”
Nirvana (“All Apologies” lyrics)
“I believe forgiveness is the best form of love in any relationship. It takes a strong person to say they’re sorry and an even stronger person to forgive.”
“Forgiveness is a sign that the person who has wronged you means more to you than the wrong they have dealt.”
“I’m sorry my existence is not very noble or sublime.”
“To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you.”
“Apologies require vulnerability.”
“‘I’m sorry.’ The two most inadequate words in the English language.”
“Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart.”
Corrie ten Boom
“Blame keeps wounds open. Only forgiveness heals.”
“What is past is past, there is a future left to all men, who have the virtue to repent and the energy to atone.”
Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton
“Forgiveness means it finally becomes unimportant that you hit back.”
“Forgiveness is not weak. It takes courage to face and overcome powerful emotions.”
“When a deep injury is done to us, we never heal until we forgive.”
“Forgiveness isn’t approving what happened. It’s choosing to rise above it.”
“It’s not an easy journey, to get to a place where you forgive people. But it is such a powerful place, because it frees you.”
“Forgiveness is not an occasional act, it is a constant attitude.”
Martin Luther King Jr.
“I am sorry for what has happened and I know that I need some help.”
“Forgiveness is the giving, and so the receiving, of life.”
“When you hold resentment toward another, you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel. Forgiveness is the only way to dissolve that link and get free.”
“Apologies bring people together.”
“Life is an adventure in forgiveness.”
“We read that we ought to forgive our enemies; but we do not read that we ought to forgive our friends.”
Sir Francis Bacon
“Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.”
“Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.”
“True remorse is never just a regret over consequence; it is a regret over motive.”
“Right actions in the future are the best apologies for bad actions in the past.”
“Forgiveness is a funny thing. It warms the heart and cools the sting.”
William Arthur Ward
“A genuine apology is like an eleventh-hour rain on a dusty crop. Grossly overdue, but miraculously just in time.”
Jacqueline A. Bussie
“It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody.”
“A sincere and warmly-expressed apology can produce the same effects as morphine on a suffering soul.”
Richelle E. Goodrich
“Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.”
“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”
“Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them.”
“Apologies aren’t meant to change the past, they are meant to change the future.”
“Forgiveness is above all a personal choice, a decision of the heart to go against natural instinct to pay back evil with evil.”
Pope John Paul II
“Saying ‘I’m sorry’ is saying ‘I love you’ with a wounded heart in one hand and your smothered pride in
Richelle E. Goodrich
“Forgiveness is not a feeling; it is a commitment. It is a choice to show mercy, not to hold the offence up against the offender. Forgiveness is an expression of love.”
“An apology is the super glue of life. It can repair just about anything.”
“You cannot love if you cannot forgive.”
“I am sorry for the pain I caused you, I feel so bad.”
“Forgiveness says you are given another chance to make a new beginning.”
“Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can sometimes be easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love.”
“You can always say sorry, But the real apology is when you hear the sadness in their voice and see the look in their eyes. And you realize that they have hurt themselves just as much.”
“Let us forgive each other — only then will we live in peace.”
“Forgiving what we cannot forgive creates a new way to remember. We change the memory of our past into a hope for our future.”
The below infographic provides a unique point of view on relationships and social media. People connect and meet with others around the world thanks to the easy access provided by the internet. Finding new ways to reach out and communicate with one another in today’s technological landscape is equally important.
Although millions of people visit Brandon's blog each month, his path to success was not easy. Go here to read his incredible story, "From Disabled and $500k in Debt to a Pro Blogger with 5 Million Monthly Visitors." If you want to send Brandon a quick message, then visit his contact page here.