Tony Dungy’s Leadership Qualities
Tony Dungy was the Indianapolis Colts and Super Bowl Champion XLI. He is known as being the mentor leader as many of his practices focus on the people of the team.
5 Leadership Traits of Coach Dungy
1. Embody personal humility and professional will.
2. Display a compelling modesty.
3. Attribute success to factors other than yourself.
4. Display workman life diligence.
5. Set up successors for even greater success.
4 Primary Qualities to Successful Leadership
1. Have Vision – developing a vision will help to improve your future and drive action.
2. Quiet Approach – If I can not get your attention speaking at a normal level tone than how is yelling any more effective?
3. Accountability – Take ownership of one’s actions.
4. Family Balance – Family and life balance is important to the success of any individual.
Mentor Leader Qualities
A listing of qualities associated with mentor leader traits such as Tony Dungy’s.
- Fulfill a role to help those you lead.
- Develop relationships to succeeding and team leading.
- Live with life balance of family and spiritual life.
- Do not waste time and mistake hours for productivity.
- Be available to mentor people.
- You can mentor someone from any level.
- Informal is much more powerful than formal.
Tony Dungy Leadership Quotes
“Part of our purpose in life is to build a legacy – a consistent pattern of building into the lives of others.”
“Take Ownership. No excuses. No explanations.”
“I need to treat everybody fairly, but fair doesn’t always mean equal.”
“It’s about the journey–mine and yours–and the lives we can touch, the legacy we can leave, and the world we can change for the better.”
“I don’t yell a lot. In fact yelling will be rare.”
“The secret to success is good leadership, and good leadership is all about making the lives of your team members or workers better.”
“When you’re in a situation, you can complain about it, you can feel sorry for yourself, you can do a lot of things. But how are you gonna make the situation better?”
“I’ve said all along that God is in control.”
“We need somebody to give us a chance.”
“I guess I’m flattered that people think I can help get things done.”
The United States Sports Academy awarded Tony Dungy the Amos Alonzo Stagg Coaching Award in 2007.