Smart mobile marketing can put your brand over the top. Poor mobile marketing tactics can sink your entire business in a hurry.
Mobile Marketing: What Not To Do
There are several pitfalls associated with mobile marketing. Understanding these pitfalls will give you a much better chance at avoiding them:
1. When you give customers the basics of an event or offer. Make sure you also include instructions as to what they need to do next. Include the contact information they’re going to need. You also want them to have a reply option, a physical address, a website address, and a phone number.
2. Test your message before it goes out. The last thing you want to do is send out something that’s riddled with errors or misinformation.
3. Give people an option to unsubscribe. Failing to give your customers the ability to opt out of future messages is not only annoying, but also illegal.
4. Mobile marketing gives you the ability to market to several customer bases simultaneously. Mobile marketing means targeted marketing.
5. Don’t overwhelm them. Mass SMS messages have to work against the perception that they’re intrusive. You don’t want to overwhelm them with unnecessary information or an overabundance of messages. You don’t need to repeat the same message over and over again. You don’t need to send them a call to action for something they have already responded to.
6. Don’t put all your focus on selling. What you don’t want to do is rely solely on sales messages. Other brands have had a lot of success with having customers vote on things or fill out brief surveys. Videos, local info that appeals to the individual consumer, as well as general information on products that doesn’t sound like a sales pitch are all good ideas.
7. Don’t waste your time on an app that doesn’t really do anything. People love apps that provide information and deals/coupons. They’re not really interested in apps that fail to provide anything that might be considered useful. Apps that let them shop on their phones are good. Apps that help them save time and money are much appreciated. Apps that let them perform a practical function are always going to be popular.
These are fairly easy things to avoid. The right approach to mobile marketing will give your brand the edge it needs. Failing to keep these in mind can quickly spell trouble or even doom for your brand.