Facebook is the dominant force in the social networking empire today. It almost seems like a lifetime ago, but there was a time when people preferred MySpace to Facebook. Now just about everyone who has access to the internet on a regular basis has a Facebook page.
There are 1.39 billion monthly active users on Facebook as of January 2015. That’s a 13% increase over figures from 2014.
Facebook Usage Trends
There’s a big difference between being active once and month and actually engaging with content that is on the site. As the Facebook usage statistics show, people are doing more than just logging in to look at pictures of kids, cats, and unicorns. They’re engaging with brands, chatting with people, and liking a whole lot of stuff.
- There are 1.9 billion mobile active users that are on Facebook, although not all mobile users are active monthly.
- The most popular age demographic on Facebook: 25-34 year olds. They represent 29.7% of all Facebook accounts.
- 223 million. That’s the number of Europeans who have a Facebook account.
- The number of people who log into Facebook on a daily basis: 890 million. That figure is up 18% from 2013 to 2014.
- There are 5 new Facebook profiles being created every second of every day.
- Women [53%] are more likely to be on Facebook than men [47%].
- Most people log into Facebook to check on their profile on weekdays from 1-3pm.
- People engage with content 18% more on Thursdays and Fridays compared to other days of the week.
- According to CNN, there is an estimated 83 million fake profiles that are currently active on Facebook right now.
- 3 out of 4 Facebook users are outside of the United States.
- Penetration reaches as high as 84% for web users between the ages of 18 and 29.
- Nearly half of teen Facebook users say they’re using the site more than last year and Facebook has more daily teen users than any other social network.
To put it simply, just about everyone is on Facebook right now. It isn’t just Americans who are enjoying what the social connections can be when a Facebook profile is created. Around the world, people use this site to get connected in a wide variety of ways. As the usage statistics show, the social network is being used as a tool more than an ego boost. It is the one place where a lot of common ground can be found.
What Is The Reach Of Facebook Today?
- There are more than 70 languages and translations available on Facebook today, a service that was provided by more than 300,000 Facebook users.
- More than 111 million users are in the US.
- Twitter has 20x the brand saturation in Japan when compared to Facebook profiles.
- The average Facebook profile has 130 friends.
- 35 million people will update their status at least once.
- There are more than 500,000 different applications that are currently registered on the Facebook platform.
- The average Facebook profile has connected to 80 different Facebook pages.
- 20 million different apps are installed on Facebook every day.
- The total revenues that are generated by Facebook annually: $6.1 billion.
The reach of Facebook is pretty amazing, considering that nearly 2 in 7 people around the world have a profile on the site. In the United States, that figure is about 1 in 3. Less than 30% of online adults aren’t using Facebook in at least some way. Even more than half of the 65+ online age demographic is using Facebook.
Why Are People Using Facebook Today?
- There are 510 comments posted on Facebook every minute of every day.
- The number of status updates that are posted every minute on Facebook: 293,000.
- More than 136,000 photos are uploaded to Facebook every minute. That’s a total of 300 million photographs per day.
- The average amount of time someone spends on Facebook every time they visit is 20 minutes.
- More than 4.7 billion items of content are shared every day on the site, generating 4.5 billion likes per day.
- In the 18-24 age demographic, 50% of people who have a Facebook profile will log into the site as soon as they can after waking up.
- 20% of the page views that occur in the United States will happen on Facebook.
- 16 million local business pages have been created on Facebook and that figure is doubling year after year.
- More than 1 million links, 2 million friend requests, and 3 million messages are sent out over Facebook every 20 minutes.
- 93% of Facebook users say they are Facebook friends with family members other than parents or children
- 87% say they are connected to friends from the past, such as high school or college classmates
- Only 1 in 3 people say that they are Facebook friends with their neighbors.
People are engaging on Facebook for one primary reason: it is being seen as an extension of who they are as a person. Their Facebook profile is who they are, but in online form. Items they see on Facebook interact with their life in general and they share their life in general on Facebook as a method of modern journaling. This gives advertisers and marketers a very unique opportunity. If a brand can become part of someone’s core existence, a high level of loyalty can be generated. That’s why marketing is increasing on Facebook just as fast as profiles can be created.
How Are Marketers Influencing Facebook Usage?
- More than 7.5 million promoted posts appear on Facebook timelines every year.
- 42% of marketers state that Facebook is important or critical to the success of their business and that figure continues to grow every year.
- There are 1.5 million active Facebook advertisers right now. More than two-thirds of them are small- or medium-sized businesses.
- 52% of Facebook advertising targets regions that are outside of the United States.
- From 2013-2014, Facebook users saw a 40% increase in the amount of ads that appeared on their profile.
- 9% of the digital ad spending that occurs on the internet every day happens on Facebook.
- The clickthrough rate for advertisers that use a retargeting campaign on Facebook: 0.05%.
- 18% of the digital advertising market share belongs to Facebook, but just 7.75% of the global revenue from digital advertising comes to Facebook.
- The ROI for retail Facebook advertisers: 152%.
- 69 % of internet users in the U.S. with an income of $75,000 or above annually are on Facebook.
Would your company pay $2.5 million for a video advertisement on Facebook? That’s about equal to having a 30 second spot during the Super Bowl. The ability to target specific demographics and geographic locations may make that type of spending worthwhile. When you can put a specific ad in front of a specific individual and show them how a problem can be specifically solved, then there’s a good chance of getting a return on that investment. That’s why the retail ROI is so high. Advertisers can put specific products in front of specific people who want that item.
Is The Future of Facebook Usage A Mobile Platform?
- 745 million. That’s the number of Facebook mobile users that are active every day.
- The number of mobile only Facebook users: 526 million.
- 30% of Facebook profiles only receive logins from a mobile device.
- 60% of all mobile sharing on the internet today originates from Facebook.
- The percentage of Facebook users who are using a Facebook app in some way on a regular basis: 84%.
- 35% of global smartphone users will use Facebook Messenger at least once per day.
- 927 million hours are spent every month playing social games on Facebook.
- 68% of the time that US users of Facebook spend on the site occurs on the mobile app.
- Facebook accounts for 26.9% of all mobile upstream traffic.
- Where do people check-in the most on Facebook when they travel? Las Vegas.
- 90% of smartphone users who have the Facebook app installed will share pictures of their vacation in real time.
Facebook is already in a great position to be able to take advantage of the switch to mobile device. More than 1 in 3 Facebook users is already active every day on a mobile device. As this technology continues to grow in influence, it will continue to see increases in this figure. This means that advertisers mist be able to adapt to the changing Facebook usage statistics if they are going to be able to stay relevant. The world may be growing closer together, but unless people are willing to change, they could still wind up finding themselves very far apart.
9 Secrets to Increasing Website Visitors and Email Subscribers