People Magazine has provided the public with celebrity news and human interest articles for over 40 years. The first issue was released on March 4, 1974, and this publication has provided photographs, in-depth interviews, and breaking entertainment news every since.
With an average readership of over 46 million people, People Magazine has the largest audience of a publication of this type.
At a time when many are saying that print as a medium is dying or dead, People Magazine is bucking that trend. In 2011, this publication had nearly $1 billion in advertising revenue. By understanding the demographics of this magazine, any brand can begin to learn how to establish themselves within their core markets just as effectively.
Who Reads People Magazine?
- 70% of the readership of People Magazine are women. The most common age demographic is between the ages of 16-45.
- The average age of someone who reads People Magazine: 38. When broken down by gender, younger men read this magazine more often than younger women [age 39 vs. age 42].
- The median household income of a reader of this publication is $72,000.
- 1 in 4 people who read People Magazine have a household income which exceeds $100,000 per year.
- 80% of those who read this publication have attended college for at least one class.
- 2 out of 3 readers are employed.
- 42% of the readership of this publication have at least one child in their household.
- The website for People Magazine reaches over 12 million unique users every month.
- People.com receives 1 billion monthly page views on the average month.
- 1 in 4 adults in the United States will read at least one issue of People Magazine in the next year.
- When just moms are considered, 1 in 4 mothers will also read People Magazine.
People Magazine is amongst the highest composition of women in the entertainment news industry today as a demographic. Their mix of content of celebrity news and gossip with human interest stories is about 50/50, allowing for everyone to be able to get something out of this publication. With 30% of the readership being men, however, both genders are able to find entertainment value and that is what gives this publication more stability than the average magazine today.
People Magazine Isn’t Just For English Readers
- People Magazine in Spanish publishes 99% original content with updated online content to attract 7 million readers.
- Almost half of People Magazine readers own their own home.
- More than half of People readers are married.
- 2.9 million moms state that they are readers of People Magazine in Spanish.
- Most households have at least 1 child between the ages of 6-17 years of age.
- The median household income of Spanish readers is $32,000 less than the household income of English magazine readers.
People has branched off into a Spanish publication and a teen publication to further target unique readers and it is working. When all publications are considered, People Magazine is able to command an average subscription rate of $100 per year, which is 4x higher than what the national average is in the United States. It also provides strong newsstand sales when compared to other publications, making it an attractive option to stock. This is why advertisers are so attracted to this publication – people want to read it and they’re willing to pay for it.
People Magazine Continues to Grow
- More than 500,000 more people were reading People Magazine through a paid and verified subscription in 2014 when compared to 2010.
- The average subscription price has risen from $99.99 to $103.16 for a 53 week subscription in just 4 years.
- More than 98,000 doctor’s offices or health care providers are subscribers to People Magazine.
- Another 38,000 personal care salons subscribe to this publication.
- People Magazine receives more than 50,000 individually requested verified individual use copies for each issue that they publish.
- California has the highest number of subscribers with more than 276,000. Wyoming has the fewest subscribers with just 4,738 as of the February 9, 2015 issue.
- In Canada, there are 43 subscribers in the Northwest Territories.
- Texas, Pennsylvania, Florida, Illinois, New York, and Ohio all have more than 100,000 subscribers to People Magazine.
- 936 US military families stationed overseas also receive a paid subscription.
People Magazine might be marketed to primarily women because they make up a majority of the readership, but it isn’t just women and it isn’t just urban households that want to pick up a copy of this magazine. It’s general interest design helps it to be inviting to people from all sorts of demographics – even some of the most remote that still exist in this world today. Let’s face it – if you’ve had to wait at the doctor for any period of time, you’ve probably picked up this magazine to read through it from time to time. That’s why People Magazine continues to thrive in the print industry when so many others are struggling.
How Is People Magazine Being Read?
- The most common subscription to People Magazine is a 12 month subscription, accounting for 762,000 new and renewal subscriptions from January-June 2015.
- 1-6 month subscriptions make up 28% of the total number of new subscribers and renewals.
- 13-24 month subscribers makes up 22.9% of the total of new paid subscriptions, accounting for 430,000 households.
- 91% of the new or renewal subscriptions that are ordered are done so without a premium.
- 96% of new subscribers or renewals are ordered by households via direct mail, inserts, catalogs, online, or another outlet that is available to the subscriber.
- Just 0.2% of new subscriptions come from unsolicited telemarketing or door-to-door selling.
- Schools, churches, and other organizations sold over 72,000 new subscriptions through fundraising efforts, accounting for just under 4% of the new subscribers or renewals that were achieved.
- As of February 2015, the average single copy price of People Magazine: $5.11.
People Magazine sells at a premium price. It is able to generate hundreds of millions in advertising revenue. It does so in an industry that is, by all accounts, struggling to survive. Online articles give People 1 billion page views every month. What can be learned by studying the People Magazine demographics? That when you know your core audience and what they want, you can provide a tremendous value proposition that remains attractive. All you’ve got to do is make sure you keep your word on that promise of value.