Here are simple condolence card messages that have been used by others and shared as a way of finding the right words to write during a time of grieving.
1. Even though [name of lost loved one] is gone now, you will never stop loving them, and neither will I. Some people are put here at the right place at the right time, and [name of lost loved one] was one of those people. I am so sorry for your loss.
2. Please accept my deepest condolences for the loss of your loved one. Just as their life touched your life in a way that nothing could, so has their loss. May you find comfort and peace in the memories you have and the love you shared. You are in my thoughts as you pass through this dark valley.
3. My heart aches for you and your loss. No words can describe how this must feel for you. When words fail, I’ll still be here for you. Please call or text at any time, day or night.
4. My thoughts are with you and your family as you grieve the loss of your loved one. I hope that as your family processes this loss, you can walk through it together. May you also find comfort in the memories you shared with [him/her]. From my family and me, please accept our deepest sympathies.
5. I am deeply sorry to hear about [name of lost loved one]’s passing. [He/she] was a bright light in your life, and [he/she] will forever shine in your memories.
6. I wanted to write and to tell you that I am thinking of you in these difficult days. I know your loved one’s loss seems more than you can bear, but please know that there are many people who stand by willing to help you through this, and I am but one of these. My deepest condolences go out to you and your family.
7. All of us want to express our condolences during this difficult time. Losses are hard for everybody, and we hope that you know we’ll be here for anything you need.
8. From my family to yours, our heartfelt thoughts and condolences go out to you in this time of sorrow. You are part of our family, and we care deeply about what you are going through. We wanted you to know that we are here to help in any way we can, so we are only a phone call away.
9. We were so sad to hear about the loss of [name of lost loved one]. Everyone could see the love and warmth [he/she] brought to your life. We are here for you during this time.
10. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your loved one. Having walked through loss, I know that the days are hard and dark right now. I want you to know that I am here for you. I am ready to be a shoulder to cry on or someone to just sit with you. You are not alone in this, and I am just a phone call away.
11. Whether you need a shoulder to cry on, a comforting meal, or a warm hug, I will be here for you through these hard times. I’ve seen how strong you are, and I know that you’ll get through this loss.
12. When we grieve the loss of someone we love, the family can be like a large oak tree amid the barren landscape of sorrow. Branches of a tree offer shelter from the storm, and we want to be a place of refuge in your time of need. You have our deepest sympathy. Please call us at any time of the day or night, and we will be there for you.
13. My heartfelt thoughts are with you and your family as you pass through this time of sorrow. The loss of your beloved [name of lost loved one] is a sorrowful loss for you all. Please know that you are in my thoughts, and I wish you and your family all the comfort you need during this difficult time.
14. My sincerest sympathies for you and your family in your time of sorrow. May the love and the beauty of their life be the sunshine in your darkness. May you find comfort and warmth from those closest to you. You are in my constant thoughts during these difficult days.
15. The loss of a loved one is such a hard road to travel, and you have my deepest sympathy. I hope you will find comfort and consolation in the beautiful memories and love you had with [name of lost loved one]. May [his/her] loving life bring you the solace you need in this difficult time.
16. The loss of a loved one brings a dark shadow over our lives as we grieve. When we stand amid the darkness, we can often feel very alone. I want you to know that you are not alone. I am here. I support you. I am thinking of you. Call on me at any time.
17. When we lose someone close to us, we can have many questions amid our sadness. I want you to know that I am here for you. I may not have all the answers you need, but I am willing to help you find them. You have my heartfelt condolences, love, and support.
18. I am so very sorry to hear of your loss, and my heart is aching for you and your family. The true purpose of friendship blooms in times such as these. What should you do when you need comfort, and there is none to be found? Reach out to me, and I will be right there. I am here for you and want to be a part of your journey of grief.
19. The loss of your loved one grieves my heart. At this challenging time in your life, I am thinking of you. You are a cherished friend, and I am sharing in your grief with you. I hope you can find comfort in the memories of your precious loved one. I want to help you in any way I can because this is what friends do for each other.
20. My heart is heavy with the news of the loss of your loved one. My dear friend, as you pass through this time of grief, my heart is right there with you. You have my deepest condolences and love. May you find hope and comfort in your memories and the knowledge that I and many others love you. We are here to help you through this, and we will get through it together.
21. I cannot imagine what you are going through right now. As your friend, I am sharing in your grief as my heart breaks for you. You have my deepest condolences for your loss. I hope you will be able to find peace in knowing that your loved one lives on in you and everyone they held dear. Please call me whenever you can because I want to be here for you.
22. You and your family are in my thoughts during this sorrowful time. Thankfully, friendship is mostly full of happy times, but here we see the deepest and best parts of true friendship come into sight. Friendship offers comfort, support, and someone to cry with you. I offer you all these things and my sincerest sympathy. Please let me be there for you.
23. As your friend, I have so many fond memories of time spent with your family. Therefore, I find it hard to imagine what you are going through with such an essential family member’s loss. I hope you can find comfort in the love of those around you and the memories you shared. You have my deepest sympathy and support as you travel this road of sorrow.
24. In times of loss like these, we find comfort and peace in the memories of our loved one. My hope for you, my friend, is that you can find comfort in your memories and those around you who love you. Please understand that I am here for you any time of the day or night, and you will be in my thoughts. I am sending you all my love and deepest condolences.
25. It is so hard to see you suffer as you are. As your friend, I want to run in and fix everything. Unfortunately, this time I cannot fix this one. You have my sincerest condolence for the loss of your loved one. I cannot change this loss, but I can help comfort you. Please know that I am here for you, so you only need to reach out to me.
26. It grieves our hearts to hear of your loss. As we talked about our memories of your loved one, the depth of your loss struck us. We know you are struggling now, but have every confidence you will come through this. We can be confident you will rise above it because we will help you. You have our deepest condolences and are in our thoughts.
27. When we lose a loved one, our peace seems to take flight, like a frightened bird. We wonder, will it ever return? Yes, it will return in time, but now is the time to mourn. We all mourn with you in this sad time and offer you all the solace we can give. Please let us know how we can be of service to you and your family in this sorrowful time.
28. Grief is such a personal emotion, but it is ingrained into our design to need each other as humans. So, as you pass through this sorrowful time, we want to extend to you our deepest condolences and offer our support. Please call on any of us if we can help with anything you may need.
29. With sad hearts, we send our condolences to you in the loss of your loved one. You are in all our hearts and minds in this time of sorrow. May you and your family be overwhelmed with peace and comfort as you look to the memories you have of your loved one. Let us know if we can be of any help in any way.
30. We were all sorry to hear of the loss of your precious loved one. Sadness can be an overwhelming emotion, so we hope you will find solace in your family’s love and in our love to help you through this time of sorrow. You have our deepest condolences, and you are in all our thoughts.
31. A family is a single unit made up of many members. When one member of the family is hurting, then we all share in their pain. Your burden is one that I cannot even imagine, but I am ready to walk with you through this difficult time. You have my heartfelt thoughts, sympathy, and love. I will be calling you to set up a time to come and support you in your time of sorrow.
32. [Name of lost loved one] touched all of our hearts and souls in a way that nobody could have imagined. [He/she] was like nobody else on this earth, and our family will feel [his/her] loss deeply. I send my sympathy for your loss.
33. It is never a good time to say goodbye to someone they love. [Name of lost loved one] was no different. I hope it brings some comfort to know that goodbye isn’t forever, and one day you will meet again, even only in your dreams. I am here for you if you would like to talk.
34. [Name of lost loved one] was truly a great person and would have wanted us to find happiness even while we grieve. I hope that even in this hard time, you find moments of peace. I send my sympathy for your loss.
35. I feel so thankful that I got to know [name of lost loved one] as [he/she] lived a beautiful life. Even though [he/she] is now gone, [he/she] was always surrounded by your love, and still is. I am so very sorry for your loss.
36. I am so sorry to hear about [name of lost loved one]. Please know that the next time I see you, you will be greeted with compassion and sympathy. We will be here for whatever you need.
37. The loss of [name of lost loved one] is a loss the whole family is feeling. [He/she] was such a central part of our family events that I cannot imagine us going forward without [him/her]. However, I know that we will all get through this together as a family. [His/her] loss stripped from us something beautiful, but has left a legacy of love and [his/her] impact on us all. We all see life a little differently because of having known [him/her]. You have our deepest sympathies and love.
38. Sometimes people leave this world too early. You have all of my sympathy as you navigate these difficult moments. I am thinking about you and am here for you.
39. My dearest condolences to you. My heart goes out to you and your family during this time of loss. If you need anything, I’m not far away.
40. I was so shocked when I heard that [name of lost loved one] had passed away. [He/she] was important to you, and I express my greatest sympathy towards you during this time.
41. We are thinking of you and your family during this difficult time. The loss of your loved one was a sudden shock for the whole family, so how much more for you. The sadness and distress this loss has caused you are evident, and our hearts are heavy with grief. We share this loss with you, and we will all make it through this challenging time together. I hope you can find comfort in our love.
42. I am thankful to always hold you close, especially in times like these. You are a resilient and thoughtful friend, and we can get through this together. Call or text me. I am truly sorry for your loss and I am here.
43. Every story that you told about [name of lost loved one] was filled with joy and laughter. [His/her] legacy will forever carry on in your memory and in mine. I am here for you and very sorry to hear of [name of lost one]’s passing.
44. We must all pass through the season of loss on this earth. We typically go through it before we are ready, which is undoubtedly the case for losing your loved one. Our family will miss [his/her] ability to keep us all glued together, but find comfort in the fact that [his/her] spirit lives on in each one of us. You and your family have our deepest sympathies and love.
45. I’m devastated to hear about [name of lost loved one]’s passing. [He/she] brought so much comfort to your life. I’m only a phone call or a text away if you need support. Or if you want a hug, just let me know, and I’ll be there.
46. Everyone who met [name of lost loved one] could see the pure goodness [he/she] brought into the world. We miss them too, and we’re by your side.
47. My heart is saddened to hear of the loss of your loved one. I can only imagine how deeply your loss has touched you, and I sense your pain. I am here to help you carry this burden in any way possible. Burden sharing is a beautiful part of friendship, so please let me help. My thoughts are with you, and you have my deepest condolences.
48. With deepest sympathy, we’d like to extend our support to you as you grieve. Take this time to celebrate [name of lost loved one]’s life. This significant loss means [he/she] lived a significant, beautiful life. Still, our hearts go out to you, and we are thinking of you.
49. [Name of lost loved one] made us laugh, kept us company, and was always there for us. We hope that we can do the same for you during this difficult time. We are so deeply sorry for your loss.
50. Families are part of life’s support network to help us through hard times. The loss you have suffered is a tremendous one, and I am sure you feel it deeply. I want to help you through this challenging time in any way possible. Please know that I am here for you, and you can call on me anytime. You have my deepest condolences and are in my thoughts.
Best Quotes for Your Condolence Card Message
“As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well used brings happy death.”
Leonardo da Vinci
“Our death is not an end if we can live on in our children and the younger generation. For they are us, our bodies are only wilted leaves on the tree of life.”
“Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy.”
“The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity.”
“Death – the last voyage, the longest and the best.”
“Life has to end. Love doesn’t.”
“I think of death as some delightful journey that I shall take when all my tasks are done.”
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
“He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present than the living man.”
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“If there ever comes a day when we can’t be together, keep me in your heart, I’ll stay there forever.”
Winnie the Pooh
“Die happily and look forward to taking up a new and better form. Like the sun, only when you set in the west can you rise in the east.”
“As long as I can I will look at this world for both of us. As long as I can I will laugh with the birds, I will sing with the flowers, I will pray to the stars, for both of us.”
“Seeing death as the end of life is like seeing the horizon as the end of the ocean.”
“To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.”
“How can the dead be truly dead when they still live in the souls of those who are left behind?”
“He spoke well who said that graves are the footprints of angels.”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
“Death is nothing else but going home to God, the bond of love will be unbroken for all eternity.”
“In the gardens of memory, the palaces of dreams, this is where we will meet.”
Alice Through the Looking Glass
“Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time. It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.”
“Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there’s a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see.”
“There are no happy endings. Endings are the saddest part, so just give me a happy middle and a very happy start.”
“You gave me a forever within the numbered days.”
“The grave itself is but a covered bridge, leading from light to light, through a brief darkness!”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
“They that love beyond the world cannot be separated by it. Death cannot kill what never dies.”
“No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away.”
“If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them.”
“Make the most of your regrets; never smother your sorrow, but tend and cherish it till it comes to have a separate and integral interest. To regret deeply is to live afresh.”
Henry David Thoreau
“Say not in grief that they are gone, but give thanks that they were yours.”
“What we have once enjoyed we can never lose; all that we deeply love becomes a part of us.”
“Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality.”
“Sometimes, only one person is missing, and the whole world seems depopulated.”
Alphonse de Lamartine
“Given a choice between grief and nothing, I’d choose grief.”
Best Bible Verses for Your Condolence Card Message
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
1 Corinthians 15:51
Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed.
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live.”
For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in him.
1 Peter 5:7
Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the first resurrection! Over such the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and they will reign with him for a thousand years.
And I heard a voice from heaven saying, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.” “Blessed indeed,” says the Spirit, “that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow them!”
1 Corinthians 15:20
But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.
1 Thessalonians 4:15
For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep.
1 Chronicles 16:11
Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually!
To those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.
1 Corinthians 15:42
So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable.
1 Corinthians 15:54
When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”
1 Thessalonians 4:16
For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.
When the righteous increase, the people rejoice, but when the wicked rule, the people groan.
He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever.
And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.”
That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Although millions of people visit Brandon's blog each month, his path to success was not easy. Go here to read his incredible story, "From Disabled and $500k in Debt to a Pro Blogger with 5 Million Monthly Visitors." If you want to send Brandon a quick message, then visit his contact page here.