One of the top places to shop for deals on the internet today is eBay. For more than a decade, it has been a leading auction site with some good Buy It Now deals as well. Entrepreneurs have found a niche here, households have found a way to get rid of stuff and make some cash, it is a favorite place to shop for many.
A mobile phone sells on eBay every 14 seconds to one of the over 159 million active users of the site.
There are some countries where eBay has a 41% market reach. It is a site that literally transcends all demographics, become part of the shopping experience for everyone thanks to the 800 million items which are listed for sale.
Who Is The Average Ebay Customer?
- 32% of eBay account holders are 35-49 years of age. This tops the 29% of users who are in the 50-64 age demographic.
- 58% of eBay users have a household income of $40,000 or more.
- 1 in 4 eBay users have at least an Associate’s degree.
- Men [51%] use eBay slightly more than women [49%] on any given day.
- 60% of eBay users state that they are the primary decision maker in their household when it comes to finances.
- When global net revenues are combined, eBay comes out with $17.9 billion annually.
- Fixed price trading accounts for 70% of the items that are listed on eBay.
- More than 68 million unique visitors check out what eBay has to offer every month.
When eBay was founded in 1995, it was primarily a site for item auctions. Even when there was surge in membership in 1999-2002 as internet saturation and access speeds increased, this remained true. As the 25 million sellers asked for more options, the Buy It Now feature allowed for fixed pricing, making eBay a true e-commerce solution. Now sellers can even participate in specialized health insurance pricing and other benefits. It’s been a long journey for eBay to get to where it is today, but the exciting part is that the journey has really just begun.
Saving Money Thanks to Ebay
- 43% of US adults who have an annual household income over over $250k have shopped on eBay in the last 12 months at least once. This is higher than any other income group.
- 1 in 3 Americans state that they’ve shopped for something on eBay in the last month as a way to save money.
- 1 in 4 people have thought about purchasing food products from eBay.
- People who have an Amazon Prime membership are also likely to have an active eBay account.
- 60% of home-based businesses in the US are selling products through eBay as a way to support their endeavors.
- Mobile users generate $500 million in revenues for eBay every month.
- When combined with Amazon, eBay helps to account for 70% of the total mobile e-commerce market in the United States.
Shopping on eBay is convenient. It really is that simple. People today are busier than ever before, working longer hours, and trying to stretch their paychecks out as much as possible. The deals on eBay can help to make this happen. With sales strong enough that eBay was even able to spin Paypal off as a separate business entity in 2015, it’s clear to see that eBay is still considered to be one of the best places to save money on the internet today – especially for mobile users.
How Long Do People Shop on Ebay?
- The average visitor spends over 12 minutes during each visit to eBay, viewing an average of 13 pages.
- The bounce rate for eBay is just 20.3%, which is even lower than the bounce rate for Amazon.
- It isn’t just for everyday things either – a chip that was shaped like the Pope’s hat once sold on eBay for over $1,200.
- 59% of eBay shoppers are multiscreen shoppers, which means they use mobile devices, laptops and/or PCs to monitor their listings.
- 1 in 5 sales on eBay is an international sale.
Amazon is a juggernaut of e-commerce that eBay is not likely to ever overcome. That doesn’t mean they can’t find their own success sitting in the #2 position. With a system that features comprehensive feedback, quality ratings, and buyer protections, there could be something amazing to find on eBay right now. That is if you’re part of the eBay demographics, that is.
Although millions of people visit Brandon's blog each month, his path to success was not easy. Go here to read his incredible story, "From Disabled and $500k in Debt to a Pro Blogger with 5 Million Monthly Visitors." If you want to send Brandon a quick message, then visit his contact page here.