Even though up to one-third of all Americans are considered to be medically obese, the health and fitness industry is thriving in the United States, as well as around the world. People are regularly going to the gym, working out to become fit, and the entire process has become a means of social networking that doesn’t need to be on the internet!
Current Fitness Industry Trends
There are 51.3 million health club members in the United States alone.
Americans make up more than one-third the global population of health club members around the world, with the last figures listed at 131.7 million members. These members contributed $75.7 billion toward the global economy in 2012 at nearly 153,000 health clubs that exist worldwide. Here are 11 facts about the health and fitness industry that you’ll want to know!
Rising Popularity of Fitness
1. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that within the next decade, jobs within this industry will increase by 23%.
2. There are 231,500 personal trainers employed in the United States alone.
3. Over 60% of all Americans actively participate in some form of recreational sport that requires a certain level of fitness.
Takeaway: More people than ever before are concerned about their weight and physical appearance. As they can afford it, the extra money that some Americans have appears to be funneled toward the health and fitness industry. Even if it isn’t a formal workout or training session, Americans are becoming more active in an attempt to become healthier.
More Than Working Out
Fitness is more than just working out and here are 8 facts that prove that.
1. The sale of nutrition-based products was $108 million in 2009, the last year that this data is reliably available.
2. 87% of all Americans take at least one dietary supplement on a regular basis.
3. 70% of Americans utilized some form of non-traditional medicine to meet their health and fitness goals within the last year at least once.
4. Over half of all Americans are actively trying to lose weight either through lifestyle changes or through other health and fitness regimens.
5. Diets accounted for another $60 billion in revenues to the health and fitness industry within the last year.
6. Multivitamins accounted for over $100 million in sales all on their own within the last year.
7. The United States is the single biggest user of health and fitness products, surpassing their next competitor by nearly 3.5 times the amount of money spent.
8. In total, Americans spent $22 billion in 2013 just to go to a health club for some reason.
9. The number of health club or gym memberships has increased from 41.3 million in 2005 to 50.2 million in 2012.
10. The most current reports show number of people who have at least used a health club in 2012 increased those with memberships by 8 million in the same year.
Takeaway: With one-third of Americans considered obese and 75% of Americans considered to be overweight in some way, there is a conscious effort amongst a majority of the population to change their lifestyle and get back into shape. With the amount of money being spent, it also appears that there is no spending cap needed in order to get this done.
Last month, more than 2 million people visited Brandon's blog. He shares exactly how he took his blog from zero to 1 million monthly visitors here. His path to success was not easy. Brandon had to comeback from being disabled, by a rare health disorder, for most of his thirties. God delivered him from hardship and has blessed his family in so many wonderful ways. You can send Brandon a message here.