In the United States, although there are multiple parties present, there are two primary political parties. The Republicans and the Democrats have been battling each other on social, domestic, and international issues for more than a century.
In the 2012 election cycle, more people registered as independent voters then as Republicans. Democratic supporters accounted for 35% of the electorate.
Demographics of Republicans vs Democrats
Although Republicans only made up 28% of the total electorate, independent voters tend to lean more towards the Republican demographic than the Democratic demographic. This tends to be the case whenever a Democratic president is in office and the reverse is also true. Independents lean towards the Democratic Party demographic more when a Republican president is in office.
- The Republican Party has seen a 6% shift in white voters who identify as being supportive of the GOP view.
- Minorities primarily support the Democratic Party, but their support levels have remained largely unchanged since 1992.
- With the exception of 1992, Americans have identified more as being Republican or leaning toward Republicans than being Democrats or leaning toward the Democratic perspective.
- Only 8% of black voters described themselves as Republicans.
- People who are younger and poorer tend to vote for Democrats, but people who are older and more wealthy tend to vote for Republicans.
- College graduates historically tend to support both parties equally.
Because the population of the United States is effectively divided, Republicans and Democrats need to dip into opposing demographics in order to win an election. This typically means that the current views of government are one of the most influential factors of any given election. If people are satisfied with the job that a majority party is doing, then the status quo is likely to be maintained. If not, as the 2014 midterm elections proved, even Democrats are willing to vote for Republicans to create change.
Were You Born After 1980?
- Only 36% of Millennials say that they support the Republican Party. 55% of them say that they are Democrats.
- Since 2008, the Democratic advantage in the Millennial demographic has decreased by 13 points.
- The balance of party identification is fairly evenly divided amongst all other generations.
- Men are more likely to vote for Republicans, well women are more likely to vote for Democrats.
- 87% of those who identify with being Republicans or lean toward the GOP view are white.
- Republican voters are far more likely to be married than Democratic voters.
A common question that is being asked of Republicans is this: will the demographics of their party be at eventual downfall? As minority races begin to take more of a majority presents in the United States, the demographic leads that the Republicans have always held will begin to fade. Although the age gap in young voters has been reducing, it is still a large gap that is enough to be concerning. Even though the Republican Party has its largest majority in Congress since 1928, 54% of Americans view the party unfavorably. There can only be one end result: gridlock.
How Come We Are Red and Blue Instead of Purple?
- Republicans to live outside of urban areas, while Democrats tend to prefer living inside of urban areas.
- Rural areas are almost exclusively Republican well strong urban areas are almost exclusively democratic.
- Republicans also tend to stress traditional family values, which may be why only 1 out of 4 GLBTQI individuals identify with the GOP.
- 63% of people who earn more than $200k per year vote for Republicans, while 63% of people who earn less than $15k per year vote for Democrats.
- 64% of Americans believe that labor unions are necessary to protect working people, but only 43% of GOP identified votes view labor unions in a favorable way.
The economics of the United States seem to have greatly influenced how people identify themselves when it comes to their preferred political party. People who are concerned about their quality of life and have a fair amount of money tend to vote Republican. Those who have fallen on hard times or work in union related jobs tend to vote for Democrats. From 2003 to today, almost all of demographic gaps have been shifting so that Republicans and Democrats are supported equally. The only true difference is on the extremes of the income scale. The one unique fact about Democrats is that they are as bothered by their standard of living as Republicans tend to be.
Which Party Are You?
- The average Republican is 50, while the average Democrat is 47.
- 55% of married women will vote Republican.
- GOP candidates earn 59 percent of all Protestant votes, 67 percent of all white Protestant votes, 52 percent of the Catholic vote, making them a Christian majority party.
- Only 1 out of 4 Jewish voters will support Republicans.
- If you are white and have a college education, there is a 20% greater chance that you will be a Republican instead of a Democrat.
- American Republicans have been found to be among the most generous people on earth, and not just financially. Republicans also provide more volunteer hours and donate blood more frequently.
Here is what we really come to when it comes to political party demographics. It doesn’t matter if you’re a Republican or a Democrat. What matters is that everyone is able to take advantage of the diversity that makes the United States so unique. Instead of trying to prove one way is the only correct path, both parties coming together to work together could create some amazing changes for the modern world. Until we learn to compromise, however, the demographic trends will continue to equalize and polarize until only gridlock remains. If that happens, then nothing will ever get done and each party will blame the other.
Although millions of people visit Brandon's blog each month, his path to success was not easy. Go here to read his incredible story, "From Disabled and $500k in Debt to a Pro Blogger with 5 Million Monthly Visitors." If you want to send Brandon a quick message, then visit his contact page here.