Sexual Harassment Statistics in the Workplace
A recent study found that 1 in every 4 women experience sexual harassment in the workplace. A similar poll found 1 in 10 men experiencing sexual harassment as well. A fourth of men are concerned of becoming falsely accused of sexual harassment.
10 EEOC Harassment Statistics
According to the EEOC, $52.3 million dollars in damages were received from claims in sexual harassment in 2011. The following statistics break down the results of harassment claims filed.
1. Total Claims Filed: 11,364
2. Percentage of Charges Filed By Males: 16.3%
3. Settlements Made: 1,367 / 10.9%
4. Withdrawals with Benefits: 1,150 / 9.1%
5. Administrative Closures: 2,635 / 21%
6. No Reasonable Cause: 6,658 / 53%
7. Reasonable Cause: 761 / 6.1%
8. Successful Conciliations: 288 / 2.3%
9. Unsuccessful Conciliations: 473 / 3.8%
10. Merit Resolutions: 3,278 / 26.1%
Sexual Harassment in a Public Agency
The below video discusses an incident of sexual harassment that occurred within a public agency.
Concerns Over Sexual Harassment
1. 64% of Americans see sexual harassment as a problem in this country.
2. 88% of women have been harassed.
3. 79% of victims are women, 21% are men.
4. 27% experience harassment from a colleague.
5. 17% experienced harassment from a superior.
6. 12% received threats of termination if they did not comply with their requests.
7. 66.6% of victims were not aware of the workplace policies regarding sexual harassment.
8. 50.4% were not aware of what department or person should be contacted regarding the sexual harassment.
9. 1 in 3 women ages 18 to 34 has been sexually harassed at work.
10. 81% of women experience harassment in verbal form.
Top 5 Industries with Highest Sexual Harassment Incidents
1. Business, Trade, Banking, and Finance
2. Sales and Marketing
4. Civil Service
5. Education, Lecturing, and Teaching
How Common is Sexual Harassment?
The following infographic outlines recent percentages of the type of incidents that occur in the workplace regarding sexual harassment. Sexual harassment can occur with any sex and includes incidents of unwelcomed and unwanted verbal and physical force.