Although Apple is considered a premium brand and many products come with a premium price tag, teens are consider one of the primary Apple target market demographics. This is because teens are attracted to the value of an iPod and this translates into wanting iPhones, Macs, and other products later on in life.
In just 7 years, Apple has dominated with over 60% of the total smartphone industry.
After the 2015 freefall of their stock value, there are some definite stormy clouds on the horizon. A majority of Apple’s target demographics admit that their loyalty is blind to the brand. Only about half of iPhone users say they’re impressed with their phone. Windows phones actually outsell the iPhone in two dozen countries.
Who Are the Best Customers for Apple?
- 54% of consumers who purchase an iPhone say that their last phone was also an iPhone.
- 1 in 4 people say that they’ve purchased Apple products because their friends also had an Apple product.
- For people who have purchased multiple Apple products in the past five years, less than 30% say that the iPhone is the best phone on the market today.
- Just 0.3% of people in a recent survey stated that the interface created by Apple is the reason why they prefer the brand’s products.
- The average household income for Mac owners is $98,500.
- 2 out of every 5 Mac owners is younger than 34.
Apple is a premium brand that is associated with a premium income level. It’s a brand that everyone may want, but not everyone can afford. For this reason, the best customers for Apple tend to be younger and wealthier, so Millennials tend to be the next preferred targeted demographic after teenagers. Millennials are hooked into technology like no other generation, exploit the benefits Apple can provide, and this leads to more wealth for them and more sales for Apple.
Why Businesses And Educators Are Attracted to Apple
- Owners of iPads, when compared to users of laptops or desktops, place larger orders when shopping online.
- Users of iPhones place larger orders than those on Android and Blackberry devices.
- Apple users who shop for travel options online may spend as much as 30% more per night for rooms and other travel needs when compared to other users.
- Apple owners are about 50% more likely to have arranged an online travel purchase within the last month.
- One-third of Apple’s retail sales went to a household that earned at least $100,000 in the previous year. At the $125,00 salary level, Apple’s target market demographic is overweight by a 4:1 basis when compared to Android products.
- People who own Apple products tend to be more urban, have a college education, and follow technology news on a regular basis.
- The average Apple target customer will state that they are addicted to digital devices and use an Apple product to help them maintain a professional or managerial position.
With Apple, the value proposition that is being offered is the key point that each targeted demographic must consider. The iPhone only costs about $50 to produce, for example, but with cellular providers not subsidizing the phones any more, this means the average consumer will be forced to shell out about $650 to get an updated model each year. This limits the number of people who will ultimately see the value of owning such a device when a household could purchase 4 Chromebooks and still spend less than 1 iPhone.
The Trends of Apple’s Target Market Demographics
- Men outnumber women on a 2:1 basis when it comes to purchasing Apple products.
- The average age of an Apple customer is 35-44.
- 1 in 4 people in the 18-34 age demographic express a strong interest in purchasing an Apple product at some point in the next 6 months.
- Apple users are 94% more likely to be affluent than others who utilize mobile devices on a regular basis.
Apple has done an excellent job at database marketing for their new products and services. The Apple app store routinely sells more than $1.5 billion worth of downloads annually. As long as the core customer base is still intrigued by Apple and its new products while being able to maintain their own wealth, then this record-setting brand can still look forward to a bright future. If those Apple target market demographics change, however, the storm clouds that seem to always be on the horizon could turn dark and gray.