Coffee Industry Consumption and Statistics
The coffee industry is an $30-32 billion dollar a year industry. Increasing at an average rate of 20% per year, specialty coffee along makes up almost 10% of the market. Coffee statistics show that among coffee drinkers the average consumption in the United States is 3.1 cups of coffee per day. The following statistics about consumption and market share are outlined below.
Average Coffee Consumption in the United States
According to the Specialty Coffee Association of America and CoffeeResearch.org, the following consumption rates with coffee exist in the United States.
1. Average daily consumption of coffee is 3.1 cups per day.
2. 50% of the population drink espresso, cappuccino, latter, or iced/cold coffee.
3. Independent coffee shops in the United States make $12 billion in annual sales.
4. Average beverage price for espresso drink is $2.45.
5. Average price for brewed coffee is $1.38.
6. Average cup size is 9 ounces.
History of Coffee Consumption
Reports from the Wall Street Journal’s MarketWatch claims that consumption of American coffee drinkers have in fact been decreasing since 60 years ago from 23 gallons per year from 48 gallons per year.
7. Drink coffee at breakfast: 65%
8. Drink coffee between meals: 30%
9. Drink coffee after meals: 5%
10. Prefer black coffee: 35%
11. Prefer sugar and cream: 65%
12. Average amount spend each year: $164.71
13. Percentage of drinkers who go to premium places: 34%
14. Percentage of drinkers that go to lower price outlets: 29%
15. Average Age of Consumers
18-24 years old: 40%
25-39 years old: 54%
16. Top 5 Countries that Import Coffee
5. United States
Global Economy of Coffee
33% of the world’s coffee beans were produced in Brazil. As estimated 49 countries from around the world grow coffee. The following infographic looks at coffee and the global economy of production.
9 Secrets to Increasing Website Visitors and Email Subscribers