Health food is considered to be the best type of diet one can have. The better the quality of food you eat, after all, the better your health can be. After all, isn’t it healthier to eat foods that are fresh and natural than foods that contain artificial preservatives and chemicals?
Health Food Industry Statistics
Total revenues within the health food industry are expected to hit $88 billion by 2015.
What many people don’t realize is that this industry is responsible for more than just food products that are consumed. There are many all-natural products that people use, from laundry soaps to shampoo, that are made with the natural products this industry produces. The sales of these non-food products accounted for over $2 billion in revenues in 2012 for the industry.
3 Fast Facts About the Health Food Industry
1. It is estimated that more than 40% of the total sales within this industry are generated by organic produce.
2. The second largest category of sales within this industry is dairy products, accounting for about 15% of the total revenues.
3. The United States is responsible for more than 25% of annual global revenues within this industry.
Takeaway: The one problem that exists in this industry is the fact that revenues and statistics are actually kept with specific certainty. The USDA does not do any tracking whatsoever of health food or organic sales, which means all of these figures are essentially estimates instead of concrete facts. From these estimates, however, it can be gleaned that Americans in particular are becoming more aware of the foods that they eat and are becoming more conscious about their weight. If trends continue, there could be a further increase in sales and potentially a reduction in waist lines!
Other Facts You Need to Know Right Now
1. If organic labels or health food labels are misused in the United States, the food manufacturer is subject to a $10,000 fine per incident.
2. The expected amount of sales in organic foods in the US is expected to cross $35 billion in 2014.
3. Organic cropland in the United States is higher than it has ever been in history. With the exception of 2005, the same is true for organic pastureland as well.
4. There are 5.4 million acres of certified lands that produce health foods in the United States as of the last report.
5. Despite these record highs, these certified lands make up a very small portion of the total croplands. Lands that produce organic foods, for example, make up just 0.7% of US farmland.
6. The largest worldwide export of organic health products is coffee, making upwards of 50% of all exports.
7. The health food product that has seen the greatest increase in sales and exports is soybeans.
8. 88% of consumers are willing to pay more for healthier foods.
Takeaway: Even though the general public is becoming more aware of the foods that they eat, the health food industry has but a small fraction of the actual global sales that occur annually for food that is consumed. The total global industry, in fact, is less than 15% of the revenues that some grocery organizations generate annually in the United States. The growth is encouraging, but there is a long way to go for this industry.
Last month, more than 2 million people visited Brandon's blog. He shares exactly how he took his blog from zero to 1 million monthly visitors here. His path to success was not easy. Brandon had to comeback from being disabled, by a rare health disorder, for most of his thirties. God delivered him from hardship and has blessed his family in so many wonderful ways. You can send Brandon a message here.