Fear of Public Speaking Statistics
A fear of public speaking is considered the number one fear among societies population. It is also considered to be a social anxiety disorder where individuals suffer from performance anxiety. The medical term referring to the fear of public speaking is called “glossophobia.” The following statistics provide a in depth perspective to the current state of public speaking phobias.
The Number One Fear
Of all the phobias out there, public speaking is considered the highest. It affects 3 out of 4 people or 75% of individuals that suffer from speech anxiety. It also accounts for 19% and the largest majority of those suffering from some form of phobia out there. The top 10 listing of phobias is located below.
Facing Your Fear
You do not have to let your fear of public speaking rule your life. As seen in the video below, a man goes through his own trials and tribulations, attending local classes to help him overcome his fear.
Top 10 Phobias
1. Public Speaking or Stage Freight – 19%
2. Death and End of Life – 16%
3. Spiders and other Arachnids Creatures – 13%
4. Darkness and Twilight – 12%
5. Heights, Altitudes, and Elevations – 11%
6. People and Social Situations – 10%
7. Flying in Airplanes – 7%
8. Open Spaces and Squares – 5%
9. Natural Thunder and Lightning – 4%
10. Confined Spaces and Small Rooms – 3%
Public Speaking Fear Statistics
The following infographic outlines statistics of those who suffer from the fear of public speaking. An estimated 5.3 million Americans suffer from a social phobia, with 74% suffering from speech anxiety.