Apple has dominated the mobile phone market for several years. Competitors like Samsung might have more in overall unit sales in 2014-2015, but because their phones are priced 3x lower than the iPhone, Apple’s revenues tend to be better. 83% of iPhone 5 buyers upgraded from a previous iPhone. The iPhone 5 sales statistics show some amazing trends.
More than 100 million iPhone 5 units were sold globally by Apple in figures that date back to October 2014.
iPhone 5 Facts
This includes the 5s and the 5c models for the iPhone 5. More than 13 million 5s and 5c models were sold by Apple to compliment the 91 million iPhone 5 units that were sold. For mobile phone owners, the Apple iPhone is more than just a status symbol. It’s a usable, business friendly product that makes them more productive.
- 5.15 million. That’s the number of iPhone 5 units that were sold in the first 60 days of this smartphone’s release in the US.
- 9 million. That’s the number of iPhone 5 units that were sold on its opening weekend, a record that would stand until the iPhone 6 sold 10 million units its opening weekend.
- The number of iPhone 5 pre-orders that Apple received after announcing the phone: 2 million. That’s double the amount of iPhone 4s pre-orders that were received.
- 83% of iPhone 5 purchasers were upgrading from a previous version of the iPhone.
- Just 6% of iPhone users wanted to upgrade to the 5 model series because of the larger screen of the phone.
- 30% of the US population said that they would have purchased the iPhone 5 if they had the opportunity.
- In the last 3 months of 2013, Apple was able to sell a total of 51 million total iPhones.
There is a clear pattern to the sales of the Apple iPhone 5 as there is with other previous models and even the iPhone 6. When the phone is released, there is a peak amount of interest in the phone. Sales spike in the final quarter of the year and then become almost non-existent when it is time for the next generation of phone to come out. This is often because people in the three quarters after an iPhone is released are just waiting for the next version of the phone. Even so, these sales figures are impressive, considering a retail price that is often above $600.
It’s Not Just About The iPhone 5 When It Comes to Sales
- 8%. That’s the percentage of the global population that owns at least one Apple iPhone right now.
- 90% of teens who own an iPhone will use it to listen to music.
- 22% of people who own an iPhone believe that SMS texting is easier than calling someone to have a conversation.
- 49% of people will sell their previous generation of iPhone when they upgraded to the iPhone 5 model of their preference.
- The percentage of photographs that are shared online have come from an Apple iPhone.
- More than 200 patents have been assigned to Apple thanks to the technologies that are found in the iPhone series.
- More than $1 million is spent in the Apple AppStore every day.
The Apple iPhone 5 generates more than $365 million in revenues thanks to the apps that it is able to run. That doesn’t even include music that comes out of purchases from iTunes. Movies, music videos, and TV shows can all be run on the iPhone 5 as well for additional revenue. This is why the risk of running afoul of 8 patents that were awarded to Samsung was well worth it for this smartphone. The technology in the 5 series had people craving what this phone could do and still does for many users. Having it be the first iPhone with 4G LTE capabilities helped as well.
How Strong Is Apple’s Market Share?
- The total global revenue that comes out of apps that Apple has made available to the iPhone 5 series: $1.782 billion.
- 82.7%. That’s the market share that the AppStore has for downloadable apps to smartphones.
- 85 billion apps are downloaded from Apple sources every year.
- The percentage of smartphone operating systems that are powered by Apple: 15.6%.
- 15% of smartphone vendors sold the Apple iPhone 5 series.
- The global average app revenue per download that Apple experiences: $0.19.
- In September 2013, the iPhone 5 had a 38% share of the US smartphone market for the month even though it was only on sale for 10 days.
The market value for the iPhone 5 series started strong and it continues to be strong. More than 150 million smartphones are sold by Apple every month. Even though the 5 series has now been eclipsed by the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, it is still a very usable phone with its 4G LTE capabilities and exposure to unlimited data plans from carriers like T-Mobile. If you have purchased an iPhone before, then purchasing the iPhone 5 can save you a few bucks and still get you many great, modern features that other smartphones just don’t have.
Why Choose The iPhone 5?
- The Apple iPhone 5 offers up to 8 hours of LTE browsing, 3G talk time, and 3G internet browsing.
- 10 hours of video playback are available per batter charge in addition to 40 hours of music playback.
- In total, Apple has sold more than 590 million new iPhones from 2007 to 2014 all around the world.
- The Apple iPhone 5 sold 27.4 million units during the last three months of 2012, which is greater than the population of Australia.
- At the same time, the iPhone 4S still sold 17.4 million devices.
- About 1 in 5 total smartphone shipments is an Apple iPhone.
- The retina display in the Apple iPhone 5? That’s manufactured by Samsung.
The Apple iPhone 5 breaks down into two primary categories: people who love Apple products and people who avoid Apple products. Those who buy Apple will typically upgrade their phone, which is the foundation of iPhone 5 sales. For those who don’t have a smartphone, the iPhone 5 today is still a solid purchase since it’s available at a discount compared to the 6 series. Those who don’t buy Apple typically will stay away from it in every model. One thing is not in dispute: Apple dominates the market today with billions in revenues in part because of the success of the iPhone 5.
9 Secrets to Increasing Website Visitors and Email Subscribers