With nearly 2 billion people Facebook, we are approaching a time when it will be more unusual for someone to not have a profile page than to be an active user. More than half of the profile pages are at least monthly active users. Some countries, however, are more obsessed with Facebook than others.
Two-thirds of Americans who are active on the internet on a regular basis also have a Facebook profile page.
Facebook Around the World
Americans might dominate the #1 spot on Facebook usage, but what about the rest of the globe? There are over 1 billion profiles that originate from outside the US. Here are the other countries that are addicted to this social networking site.
- 30% of the top nations that use Facebook originate from the Asia Pacific region.
- 62 million. That’s the number of people who have registered a Facebook profile page from India.
- There are 68 million people registered on Facebook in Brazil.
- 1 in 5 people living in Indonesia have a Facebook profile page. Only 22% of the population has regular internet access, however, so the potential for growth is great.
- Mexico boasts 38 million registered Facebook profile pages.
- With 33 million registered users, 53% of those in the UK who regularly access the internet have a Facebook presence.
- What makes Turkey unique is that the ratio of men to women on Facebook is equal in their 33 million registered pages. Almost all of the people on Facebook in Turkey are in the 18-35 age demographic.
- About 22 Million of the total users present on Facebook are from Germany. 7 out of 10 of them are under the age of 44.
What makes Facebook unique from a global perspective is the fact that most of those with a profile page are young people. It’s not unusual for a majority of registered users to be under the age of 35. Twitter is often thought of as the young person’s social network, but Facebook is right up there. As the APAC region continues to gain in wealth and develop a middle class that has access to the internet, this trend is only going to continue to grow. In the next 5 years, it is very feasible that the Asian-Pacific influence could overtake the American influence on the site.
Not Everyone Loves Facebook
- Turkey’s government has blocked Facebook even though it’s a top site based on country demographics.
- 3 other countries have full or partial blocks on Facebook: China, Iran, and North Korea.
- Eritrea and Vietnam may or may not block the site. The nation is often left off of internet usage transparency reports and in Vietnam, anti-government messages are forbidden.
Despite blocks, people have the ability to still access this global social network. Facebook is proof that the world can come together and do great things.
What Is The State Of Facebook Globally?
- 4 out 5 people who regularly use Facebook anywhere around the world access their profile page through a mobile device.
- 341 million people only access Facebook via mobile, or about the equivalency of the entire US population. That’s 30% of the entire active user base.
- Facebook’s rate of growth in active account users increased by 4% in 2014 compared to the year before.
- When all accounts are considered, including inactive accounts, Facebook has reached an estimated 45% of humanity.
- Market penetration in the US is estimated to be at 56.45%. That puts the US just .03% behind the UK market penetration.
- In North Korea, there is still a small Facebook presence. The site has a 0.03% market penetration there, or 8,000 users.
- There are even 90,000 registered Facebook profile pages that originate from Sudan.
- Canada comes in third for market penetration with 56.27% of the population using Facebook.
- Malaysia & Argentina are the two non-English speaking countries that show greater than 50% penetration.
- If current government regulations change, China presents the largest market for opportunity and growth for Facebook in the future.
Just as wearable technology becomes part of life’s existence, a Facebook profile page becomes an extension of who someone happens to be. It is not unreasonable to believe that as internet usage inches closer to becoming universal that Facebook market penetration will also become universal. In many ways, it is the virtual home that people have on the internet. They can speak with family and friends, share information, or even make a free video call to have a chat. 2 in 7 people in the world today might be on Facebook, but there is still a tremendous amount of growth that could be achieved.
9 Secrets to Increasing Website Visitors and Email Subscribers